Friday, July 14, 2006

And She Sleeps!

I have had a constant struggle over the last four months and that is, not having my husband around on weekend nights since he works third shift. Eric started working third shift when Alora was just a year old, which wasn't so bad. Though now she is almost a year and a half old and is very attached to her daddy. Eric being gone those nights, over the last couple of weeks has been the most difficult. I haven't been able to sleep well, it takes Alora hours to fall asleep, and well the list could go on and on. But this past week, each night except for one Eric and I both put Alora to sleep. Our little routine went something like this; take a bath, put on pj's, brush teeth, read a book, sing a song, say our prayers, then get in the bed. Alora seemed to really love us both being there. Well I didn't know it would affect her so much until last night. Eric's first night of working this week and time for bed. I did the normal routine with Alora, but something was wrong, Alora DID NOT want to go to bed. Instead she insisted on crying until she made herself get sick. After about every ten minutes of her crying I would go into her room, comfort her, then try to put her to sleep. Ten o'clock was rolling around and still no sleeping baby. Eric then called at ten and he could hear Alora crying and by this time I was crying just to hear his voice. HE asked to talk to her and at first I was a little reluctant because I just wanted to talk to him, but I preceeded to give her the phone. Daddy said in his serious voice, "Alora, I love you. I miss you and I wish I was there but it is time for bed. Now you listen to your mother and you lay down and go to sleep." I was thinking to myself, "Aww, that was sweet but she ain't listening." Well, to my surprise, I helped lay her down and she went fast to sleep. Praise God! Well, Eric and I planned that today Alora would have more daddy time, just her and daddy, so they played soccer (and yes, Alora is a great soccer player, kicks the ball while she runs behind it), hide and seek (which is her favorite game) and then we had dinner. We also made a plan that I would have Alora ready to go to bed by 8:00 pm and daddy would call and give her the same speech. Well 8:00 rolled around and she was beginning to fuss because she didn't want to go to sleep. Eric called and to my surprise again she layed down and went to sleep. I was stunned. She misses her daddy so much when he's not here. I am amazed at how much this simple incident has made me fall more in love with my husband. He is such a godly man and love him even more knowing that my daughter thinks he is the best daddy in the world. Thank you Lord for giving Eric and I wisdom as we try to raise this little precious girl to be a godly woman.

1 comment:

Julie said...

What a precious memory! She will love to hear that story as much as you love to tell it. There's nothing more romantic than our husbands being great daddies.