Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Scary Part of "The Ugly Duckling"

So every week I take Alora to the Library where we exchange books and movies for new ones. Sometimes it's hard finding books for her age level, especially, when there are so many to choose from. Before deciding on any book I try to glance through them seeing if there is anything that would teach Alora something that's not honoring to God. She is learning her colors now, so most books have to do with colors. But just last week Alora spotted a book she just had to have, The Ugly Duckling.(We are working on animal sounds and her favorites are ducks, cows and chickens.) I knew the story and didn't really think anything of it, until I got home and began to read it to her. The story begins by a little duckling being hatched that doesn't look anything like his family and is made fun of so he decides to leave and find some friends who will like him no matter what he looks like. This is where the story goes a little crazy. In this rendition of the story the little duckling asks some other ducks to KILL HIM because he is so ugly. WHAT? What are we trying to teach our children? If you don't like yourself or if someone else doesn't like you go and kill yourself. I told Eric about the book and he read it and was appauled also. As he started reading the front cover he saw that it was an adaptaation from the original story. How scary? So I encourage all you mothers out there to carefully examine the stories you are reading to you children and know that they are sucking in everything that we teach them, especially when they want us to read it to them over and over again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, thats interesting. I remember that story from when I was little, and I really don't recall that part. But yea, by the time I have kids the childrens books could be even worse. So I'll definitely keep that in mind. Can't wait to see yall sunday ttyl

Anonymous said...

Thats ridiculous!I'll never read that version to my children.

Its crazy what our day and age thinks is ok. I mean, to have childrens books telling them that if your self image is bad that its ok to go ahead and take your life is appaling!

Hopefully Ill never run into that problem.